We spend our 20s and 30s preparing for a career in medicine, but we aren’t taught how to care for our finances. Our goal here at Financial Residency is to give you the education you need to be successful outside the hospital.
Financial Residency is physician-led and owned. Our contributors are both financially successful physicians sharing their experiences, as well as trusted sources who specialize in insurance, contract review, banking and mortgages, real estate and more. Our speakers have helped educate thousands of physicians and have presented before the American College of Cardiology, American Academy of Pediatrics and countless residency/fellowship programs.
Two of our podcasters have volunteered their time to speak with residency and fellowship programs to educate those physicians who are getting ready to transition from training to attending. Not only are these physicians taking a big step in their career, but they are also starting their journey to financial independence. How?
Well, what are the first two things physicians do when they leave residency or fellowship?
- They sign a contract to become an attending
- They find a home and secure a mortgage
In this educational (and totally free of sales pitches!) lecture, we’re going to address both of these monumental steps.
Reviewing, Negotiating, and Signing Your First Employment Contract
Owner of Contract Diagnostics and podcast host of Financial Residency: Coffee and Contracts with Jon. He has worked with thousands of physicians across the U.S. to help them understand their contract, teach them how to negotiate (or negotiate on their behalf), and ensure they are being compensated fairly.
This talk can be customized to cover:
- Signing your first contract. Do you really understand everything you are signing?
- What you can do if the employer says the contract can’t be changed but you have concerns.
- How to negotiate for the extras, such as sign on bonuses, protected time and other lifestyle benefits.
- Knowing your worth and what others in the same market are being compensated.
- Understanding the repercussions of terminating your contract. It’s just as important as entering the agreement!
Choosing the Home of Your Dreams and Securing a Mortgage
Physician mortgage lender at BMO Bank and podcast host of Financial Residency: The Mortgage Minute. Author or Hippocratic House. Doug has been a mortgage loan officer for over 20 years. He specializes in physician loans and works nationwide with doctors.
This talk will cover:
- Understanding the difference between the types of loans available to doctors.
- Asking the right questions of your lender to ensure you get the best deal.
- Pre-qualification vs. pre-approval.
- Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Helping docs determine what they qualify to borrow vs. what they “should” borrow to avoid being house poor.
- How to find the right realtor.
- What to know about making the offer.
- What to expect through the entire process: after the offer is accepted until the loan is closed.
Help Your Residents and Fellows Make the Best Financial Decisions
Call, text or email today to schedule these free 30-60 minute lectures. These are solely educational and are not designed to sell any product.
Simply reach out to Dr. Tammy Crouse and she will help coordinate the lectures to fit into your didactic schedule.